Things to See in Fluvanna
There are a number of sites to see here in Fluvanna! We have multiple historical buildings and sites to view. We have museums available for tour. Learn more below.
Pleasant Grove House Visitor Center & Museum
The Pleasant Grove House is home of the Fluvanna Visitor Center. The center is a certified tourist information center by the Virginia Tourism Corporation. The Visitor Center includes two museum exhibits along with area information and travel brochures. The exhibits highlight Fluvanna history and river and rail transportation.
The 1854 Pleasant Grove House is the only one of its kind seen from the road along Highway 53. It was built in 1854 by the Hayden Family and was purchased by Fluvanna County in 1994 to be historically restored in 2014.
Visitors can tour the 1854 home, browse the exhibit galleries or visit our reading room to learn more about Fluvanna's history at 271 Pleasant Grove Drive, Palmyra, VA 22963.
Pleasant Grove Park
Fluvanna’s 900-acre Pleasant Grove Park includes 22 miles of trails for hiking, biking, and horse riding. The park has multiple fields for soccer, lacrosse, baseball, and softball. Other features include picnic shelters, disc golf, a dog park, and an amphitheater.
Pleasant Grove history is associated with many of the “founding families” of Fluvanna County and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Over one hundred and fifty years ago, William Douglas Haden purchased property which today is simply known as Pleasant Grove Park. Pleasant Grove was a vibrant and active farming operation, producing wheat, corn, oats and tobacco. Plantations similar to Pleasant Grove depended on the Rivanna bateaux and canal boats to transport harvested tobacco crops and the locally milled corn, wheat, and oat flour downriver to Richmond markets and warehouses.
Historic Courthouse and Old Stone Jail
The Historic Courthouse (1831) and the Old Stone Jail (1829) were designed by Gen. John Hartwell Cocke. Today the Old Stone Jail serves as the primary building of historical information on Fluvanna County. The Historical Society operates the Old Stone Jail with open tour times throughout the year.
While Palmyra is quaint, there are a three parks in the Village.
The Civil War Park includes three memorials: the Civil War Memorial, Emancipation Proclamation Memorial, and Seaman Dakota Rigsby Persimmon Tree Memorial. Civil War Park has benches and picnic tables for a lovely lunch in the village.
Triangle Park is located near the Post Office at the northern end of the village. Triangle Park is owned and operated by the Fluvanna Historical Society.
The Rail Trail is a walking trail following the old Virginia Airline (VAL) rail bed. The mile trail goes along the Rivanna River in Palmyra and includes scenic overlooks to the river below. Parking for the Rail Trail is near the Courthouse.
The Palmyra Self-Guided Tour highlights 28 spots in the Village of Palmyra with a brief history on each.
Palmyra's founding was based on Rev. William Timberlake's Palmyra Mills, using a dam Timberlake constructed on the Rivanna River. Today you can still see the remnants of past including the mills foundation can be viewed from Petit Bridge (Route 15). The original stone pillar to hold the Palmyra Covered Bridge is also still visible in the Rivanna River. Across the river, the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries operates a boat launch on the Rivanna River.
The Holland-Page Place, located just a few short miles from the Village of Palmyra, is a post Civil War log cabin built by John Benjamin Page in 1865. The property includes both farmland and woods surrounding the cabin. John W. Holland bought the property in 1934, and in 1998, Mrs. Sara Holland Loving generously donated the cabin and 8 acres to the Society. With a very generous grant from an anonymous donor, the Society was able to restore the cabin to the period 1865, and to tell the story of everyday farm life in Fluvanna just after the Civil War. I The cabin opened May 26, 2007, interpreting an agrarian life on the homestead in the period after the Civil War. Classes and workshops for children in early crafts of the 19th century are planned for the future.
The Fork Union Village is centered around the Fork Union Military Academy. FUMA, a military school for boys, has several public parades, flag raisings and other events. The Academy, besides being known about college preparatory, is well known for its athletic programs including the postgraduate football and basketball programs.
The Fluvanna Community Center is located in Fork Union. Various Parks and Recreation programs are housed at the Community Center, including yoga, dog training, a commercial kitchen and Fluvanna's senior center. The Community Center has space available to reserve including the auditorium.
Fluvanna County has two wineries open to the public. Cunningham Creek Winery is located on Ruritan Lake Road. Thistle Gate Vineyard is located on Route 6, near Scottsville. Both have weekend hours and special events throughout the year.